How to obtain an Australian passport in Mexico
Note: All Australian overseas passport applications require a personal interview at an Australian mission. The Passport Office at the Australian Embassy in Mexico City does not book appointments, however you are welcome to come in Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm, and 2:30 to 4:30 pm.
The Australian Honorary Consulates in the region do, however, work on an appointment basis. Please contact them by email. Their contact details can be found here: http://mexico.embassy.gov.au/mctycastellano/aboutus.html%20.
Applicants in Cuba, Guatemala and the Dominican Republic, where Australia has no mission or Honorary Consul, will be required to present for interview at their nearest or most convenient Australian mission. Minors under 16 years of age are not required to be present at the interview, however one person with paternal responsibility for the child must present for an interview.
Overseas surcharge fee.
From 1 July 2015, passport applications lodged overseas will incur an additional fee (overseas surcharge). The fee will not apply to emergency passport applications.
The Embassy will be closed for the following public holidays in 2019:
Monday 16 September
Monday 7 October
Monday 18 November
Wednesday 25 December
Thursday 26 December
Friday 27 December
Monday 30 December
Tuesday 31 December.
The size and quality of your passport photographs is of critical importance. The size of your head in the photograph must comply with Australian passport requirements, which may differ from passport photograph standards of other countries. Familiarise yourself with these requirements and ensure you submit compliant photos. Your application may be rejected because of unsuitable photographs.
All supporting documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a sworn translation. This includes documents such as foreign birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, name change certificates and court orders. Please note that both the original foreign language document and the original translation must be submitted with your passport application.
The Embassy can provide you with a list of recognised translators. Please request a list from the Passport Office in Mexico City at email@example.com or by phone at +5255 1101 2256.
The suggested procedure for preparing your passport application form is as follows:
1. Access the online forms at http://www.passports.gov.au/ and complete the proper application.
2. Read the instruction sheets and checklist for your form and ensure that you are submitting all the items necessary for your application.
3. Print the completed application form. Please change the configuration of your printer to letter size if you are applying in Mexico or Central America.
A Referee/Guarantor is required for the PC8 (Application for an Australia Passport Overseas) only. If you do not know an Australian who can meet the requirements as your Referee/Guarantor at section 11 on page 3 of the application, you may use a Referee/Guarantor who does not hold an Australian passport as long as he or she is currently employed in one of the approved professional or occupation groups listed below, and:
- is not related to you by birth or marriage,
- is not in a de facto relationship with you,
- does not live at the same address,
- is over 18 years of age,
- has known you for at least 12 months, and
- is readily available to discuss your application during normal business hours.
Approved professional or occupation groups
- Accountants who are members of either the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants, National Institute of Accountants or Association of Taxation and Management Accountants.. Specify which membership status applies.
- Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys Bank Managers except managers of bank travel centres
- Chartered Professional Engineers
- Clerk of Courts
- Clerk of Petty Sessions
- Elected Representatives of Federal Parliaments, State Parliaments, Territory Parliaments, Legislative Assembly of Norfolk Island and Municipal or Shire Councils
- Holders of Statutory Offices for which an annual salary is payable
- Marriage Celebrants
- Members currently serving in the regular Australian Defence Force with at least five years continuous service
- Members of the Governance Institute of Australia (formerly Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries)
- Police Officers with at least 5 years continuous service
- Postal Managers
- Public Servants who are current full-time employees of Commonwealth, State, territory or local Governments or Statutory Authorities and who have been employed continuously for at least 5 years by their current employer
- Registered Chiropractors
- Registered Medical Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Registered Optometrists
- Registered Physiotherapists
- Registered Psychologists
- Registered Tax Agents
- Registered Veterinary Surgeons
- Stipendiary Magistrates
- Teachers who are full time and who have been teaching for more than five years at schools or tertiary institutions
Travel Document Fees as at August 2019
Payments for Australian travel documents, consular and courier fees will only be accepted by VISA or MASTERCARD.
For payments outside Mexico, please request the Credit Card Authorisation form.
Passports are valid for 10 years (adults) or 5 years (children and adults aged 75 years and over).
Passport surcharge for overseas applications
Cargo adicional para solicitudes hechas fuera de Australia
Passport surcharge for overseas children's applications
Cargo adicional para solicitudes de menores hechas fuera de Australia
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (adult)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (adulto)
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (child 16/17 years)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (menor 16/17 años)
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (child)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (menor)
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (senior - over 75 years)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (adulto mayor - 75 años +)
Pasaporte de Emergencia
Document of Identity
Documento de Identidad
Pasaporte de remplazo
Legalising documents / Legalización de documentos
|Apostille / Apostilla||83||1,096|
|Authentication / Autenticación||83||1,096|
|Certified copy / Copia certificada||72||951|
|Witnessing a signature / Atestiguar una firma||72||951|
Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage
Certificado de no impedimento de matrimonio
Couriers - National
Mensajería - Nacional
Couriers - International
Mensajería - Internacional
Couriers - service to Cuba
Mensajería - servicio a Cuba
The processing time for a passport is approximately three weeks (or 15 working days) from the time that the completed application is received.