How to obtain an Australian passport in Mexico.
Note: From 1 July 2015, all Australian overseas passport applications require a personal interview at an Australian overseas mission. The Passports office at the Embassy of Australia in Mexico City does not book appointments you are welcome to come in Monday to Friday, from 8:30am to 1:00 pm, and 2:30 to 4:30 pm
The Australian Honorary Consulates in the region work on an appointment basis. Please contact them by email. http://mexico.embassy.gov.au/mctycastellano/aboutus.html .
Applicants in Cuba, Guatemala and Dominican Republic, where Australia has no mission, will be required to present for interview at their nearest or most convenient Australian mission. Minors under 16 years of age are not required to present at the interview, one person with paternal responsibility for the child must however present for an interview.
Overseas surcharge fee.
From 1 July 2015, passport applications lodged overseas will incur an additional fee (overseas surcharge). The fee will not apply to emergency passport applications.
The Embassy will be closed for the following public holidays in 2018:
Monday 1 January, Monday 5 February, Monday 19 March, Friday 30 March, Monday 2 April, Tuesday 1 May, Monday 28 May, Monday 17 September, Monday 19 November, Monday 24 December, Tuesday 25 December, Wednesday 26 December,Thursday 27 December, Friday 28 December.
The size and quality of your passport photographs is of critical importance. The size of your head in the photograph must comply with Australian passport requirements, which differ from other passport photograph standards. Familiarise yourself with these requirements and ensure you submit compliant photos. Your application may be rejected because of unsuitable photographs.
All supporting documents that are not in English must be accompanied by an official translation made by a translator registered with the embassy. This includes documents such as foreign birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, name change certificates and court orders. Please note that both the original foreign language document and the original translation must be submitted with your application.
The Embassy can provide you with a list of recognised translators. Please request a list from the Passport Office in Mexico City at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at +5255 1101 2256
The suggested procedure for preparing your passport application form is as follows:
1. Find out what type of form that you need to use.
2. Read the instruction sheets and checklist for your form and ensure that you are submitting all the items necessary for your application.
3. Access the online forms and complete the proper application.
4. Print the completed application form. Please change the configuration of your printer to letter size if you are applying in Mexico or Central America.
6. Referee for PC8 only. If you do not know an Australian who can meet the requirements as your Referee at section 11 on page 3 of the application, you may use a Referee who does not hold an Australian passport as long as he or she is currently employed in one of the approved professional or occupation groups listed below, and:
- is not related to you by birth or marriage,
- is not in a de facto relationship with you,
- does not live at the same address,
- is over 18 years of age,
- has known you for at least 12 months, and
- is readily available to discuss your application during normal business hours.
Approved professional or occupation groups
- Accountants who are members of either the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants, National Institute of Accountants or Association of Taxation and Management Accountants.. Specify which membership status applies.
- Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys Bank Managers except managers of bank travel centres
- Chartered Professional Engineers
- Clerk of Courts
- Clerk of Petty Sessions
- Elected Representatives of Federal Parliaments, State Parliaments, Territory Parliaments, Legislative Assembly of Norfolk Island and Municipal or Shire Councils
- Holders of Statutory Offices for which an annual salary is payable
- Marriage Celebrants
- Members currently serving in the regular Australian Defence Force with at least five years continuous service
- Members of the Governance Institute of Australia (formerly Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries)
- Police Officers with at least 5 years continuous service
- Postal Managers
- Public Servants who are current full-time employees of Commonwealth, State, territory or local Governments or Statutory Authorities and who have been employed continuously for at least 5 years by their current employer
- Registered Chiropractors
- Registered Medical Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Registered Optometrists
- Registered Physiotherapists
- Registered Psychologists
- Registered Tax Agents
- Registered Veterinary Surgeons
- Stipendiary Magistrates
- Teachers who are full time and who have been teaching for more than five years at schools or tertiary institutions
Travel Document Fees as at March 2018
Payments for Australian travel documents, consular and courier fees will be accepted by Bank Card (VISA or MASTERCARD) only.
For payments outside Mexico, please request the Credit Card Authorisation form.
Passports are valid for 10 years (adults) or 5 years (children and adults aged 75 years and over).
Validez de los pasaportes es de 10 años (adultos) ó 5 años (menores y adultos de 75 años en adelante).
From 1 March 2018 passports fees are as follows:
A partir del 1 de marzo del 2018 los costos de pasaportes son:
Passport surcharge for overseas applications
Cargo adicional para solicitudes hechas fuera de Australia
Passport surcharge for overseas children's applications
Cargo adicional para solicitudes de menores hechas fuera de Australia
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (adult)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (adulto)
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (child 16/17 years)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (menor 16/17 años)
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (child)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (menor)
Ordinary Passport 32 pages (senior - over 75 years)
Pasaporte de 32 páginas (adulto mayor - 75 años +)
Pasaporte de Emergencia
Document of Identity
Documento de Identidad
Pasaporte de remplazo
Legalising documents / Legalización de documentos
|Apostille on documents / Apostilla documentos||81||1,159|
|Authentication on documents / Autenticación documentos||81||1,159|
|Certify copy / Copia certificada||71||1,016|
|Witnessing a signature / Atestiguar una firma||71||1,016|
Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage
Certificado de no impedimento de matrimonio
Couriers - National
Mensajería - Nacional
Couriers - International
Mensajería - Internacional
Couriers - service to Cuba
Mensajería - servicio a Cuba
7. The processing time for a passport is from 10 working days to 3 weeks from the time that the application is received at the passport section of the Embassy in Mexico City.
8. If you are not able to pick up your passport at the Australian Embassy in Mexico City, courier fees apply; please include the corresponding fee when lodging your application.
If you have any further questions please contact the Consular and Passports Section of the Australian Embassy in Mexico City at +52 (55) 1101 2256.